Effective 25th Dec 2017
(“MiMi,” “our,” “we,” or “us”) provides messaging,
Internet calling, and other services to users around the world. Please read our
Terms of Service so you understand what’s up with your use of MiMi. You agree to our Terms of Service (“Terms”) by
installing, accessing, or using our apps, services, features, software, or
website (together, “Services”).
NO ACCESS TO EMERGENCY SERVICES: There are important differences
between MiMi and your mobile and fixed-line telephone
and SMS services. Our Services do not provide access to emergency services or
emergency services providers, including the police, fire departments, or
hospitals, or otherwise connect to public safety answering points. You should
ensure you can contact your relevant emergency services providers through a
mobile, fixed-line telephone, or other service.
IF YOU ARE A MIMI USER LOCATED IN THE UGANDA OR ELSEWHERE, OUR
TERMS CONTAIN A BINDING ARBITRATION PROVISION, WHICH STATES THAT, EXCEPT IF YOU
OPT OUT AND EXCEPT FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF DISPUTES, MIMI AND YOU AGREE TO RESOLVE
ALL DISPUTES THROUGH BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION, WHICH MEANS THAT YOU WAIVE
ANY RIGHT TO HAVE THOSE DISPUTES DECIDED BY A JUDGE OR JURY, AND THAT YOU WAIVE
YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN CLASS ACTIONS, CLASS ARBITRATIONS, OR
REPRESENTATIVE ACTIONS. PLEASE READ THE “SPECIAL ARBITRATION PROVISION FOR USERS”
SECTION BELOW TO LEARN MORE.
About our services
Registration. You must register for our Services using
accurate data, provide your current mobile phone number, and, if you change it,
update this mobile phone number using our in-app change number feature. You
agree to receive text messages and phone calls (from us or our third-party
providers) with codes to register for our Services.
Address Book. You
provide us the phone numbers of MiMi users and your
other contacts in your mobile phone address book on a regular basis. You
confirm you are authorized to provide us such numbers to allow us to provide
Age. You must be at least 13 years old to use our Services (or
such greater age required in your country for you to be authorized to use our
Services without parental approval). In addition to being of the minimum
required age to use our Services under applicable law, if you are not old
enough to have authority to agree to our Terms in your country, your parent or
guardian must agree to our Terms on your behalf.
Devices and Software. You must provide certain devices,
software, and data connections to use our Services, which we otherwise do not
supply. For as long as you use our Services, you consent to downloading and
installing updates to our Services, including automatically.
Fees and Taxes. You are responsible for all carrier data
plan and other fees and taxes associated with your use of our Services. We may
charge you for our Services, including applicable taxes. We may refuse or
cancel orders. We do not provide refunds for our Services, except as required
by law or Court order.
including the types of information we receive and collect from you and how we
use and share this information. You agree to our data practices, including the
collection, use, processing, and sharing of your information as described in
to the Uganda and other countries globally where we have or use facilities,
service providers, or partners, regardless of where you use our Services. You
acknowledge that the laws, regulations, and standards of the country in which
your information is stored or processed may be different from those of your own
Acceptable use of our services
Our Terms and Policies. You must use our Services according to
our Terms and posted policies. If we disable your account for a violation of
our Terms, you will not create another account without our permission.
Legal and Acceptable Use. You must access and use our Services
only for legal, authorized, and acceptable purposes. You will not use (or
assist others in using) our Services in ways that: (a) violate, misappropriate,
or infringe the rights of MiMi, our users, or others,
including privacy, publicity, intellectual property, or other proprietary
rights; (b) are illegal, obscene, defamatory, threatening, intimidating,
harassing, hateful, racially, or ethnically offensive, or instigate or
encourage conduct that would be illegal, or otherwise inappropriate, including
promoting violent crimes; (c) involve publishing falsehoods,
misrepresentations, or misleading statements; (d) impersonate someone; (e)
involve sending illegal or impermissible communications such as bulk messaging,
auto-messaging, auto-dialing, and the like; or (f) involve any non-personal use
of our Services unless otherwise authorized by us.
Harm to MiMi or Our Users. You must not (or assist others to)
access, use, copy, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works based upon,
distribute, license, sublicense, transfer, display, perform, or otherwise
exploit our Services in impermissible or unauthorized manners, or in ways that
burden, impair, or harm us, our Services, systems, our users, or others,
including that you must not directly or through automated means: (a) reverse
engineer, alter, modify, create derivative works from, decompile, or extract
code from our Services; (b) send, store, or transmit viruses or other harmful
computer code through or onto our Services; (c) gain or attempt to gain
unauthorized access to our Services or systems; (d) interfere with or disrupt
the integrity or performance of our Services; (e) create accounts for our
Services through unauthorized or automated means; (f) collect the information
of or about our users in any impermissible or unauthorized manner; (g) sell,
resell, rent, or charge for our Services; or (h) distribute or make our
Services available over a network where they could be used by multiple devices
at the same time.
Keeping Your Account Secure. You are responsible for keeping your
device and your MiMi account safe and secure, and you
must notify us promptly of any unauthorized use or security breach of your
account or our Services.
- When we say ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘MiMi’ it’s because that’s who we are and we own and run the apps/sites.
The type of personal information we collect
- We collect certain personal information about visitors and users of our apps/sites.
- The most common types of information we collect include things like: user-names, member names, email addresses, IP addresses, phone numbers other contact details, survey responses, blogs, photos, payment information such as payment agent details, transactional details, tax information, support queries, forum comments, content you direct us to make available on our apps/sites (such as item descriptions) and web analytics data. We will also collect personal information from job applications (such as, your CV, the application form itself, cover letter and interview notes).
How we collect personal information
- We collect personal information directly when you provide it to us, automatically as you navigate through the apps/sites, or through other people when you use services associated with the apps/sites.
- We collect your personal information when you provide it to us when you complete membership registration and buy or provide items or services on our apps/sites, subscribe to a newsletter, email list, submit feedback, enter a contest, fill out a survey, or send us a communication.
Personal information we collect about you from others
- Although we generally collect personal information directly from you, on occasion, we also collect certain categories of personal information about you from other sources. In particular:
- financial and/or transaction details from payment providers located in the US, UK, and the rest of the world in order to process a transaction;
- third party service providers (like Paypal, Google, Facebook, Apple) who are located in the US or UK, which may provide information about you when you link, connect, or login to your account with the third party provider and they send us information such as your registration and profile from that service, this only occurs if you are using social login or payments processing. The information varies and is controlled by that service provider or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service provider; and
- other third party sources/ and or partners whereby we receive additional information about you (to the extent permitted by applicable law), such as demographic data or fraud detection information, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification service. We also receive information about you and your activities on and off the MiMi platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks. We also receive information about you as a rights holder from our third party authors. For example, information in the form of a model release when your image is used in an item made available on our apps/sites.
How we use personal information
- We will use your personal information:
- To fulfil a contract, or take steps linked to a contract: in particular, in facilitating and processing transactions that take place on the apps/sites, like where you purchase an item from our marketplace.
- Where this is necessary for purposes which are in our, or third parties, legitimate interests. These interests include:
- operating the apps/sites;
- providing you with services described on the apps/sites;
- verifying your identity when you sign in to any of our apps/sites;
- responding to support tickets, and helping facilitate the resolution of any disputes;
- updating you with operational news and information about our apps/sites and services e.g. to notify you about changes to our apps/sites, website disruptions or security updates;
- carrying out technical analysis to determine how to improve the apps/sites and services we provide;
- monitoring activity on the apps/sites, e.g. to identify potential fraudulent activity and to ensure compliance with the user terms that apply to the apps/sites;
- managing our relationship with you, e.g. by responding to your comments or queries submitted to us on the apps/sites or asking for your feedback or whether you want to participate in a survey;
- managing our legal and operational affairs (including, managing risks relating to content and fraud matters);
- training MiMi staff about how to best serve our user community;
- improving our products and services.
- providing general administrative and performance functions and activities; and
- processing your job application to MiMi.
- Where you give us consent:
- providing you with marketing information about products and services which we feel may interest you; and
- For purposes which are required by law.
- For the purpose of responding to requests by government, a court of law, or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation.
When we disclose your personal information
- We will disclose personal information to the following recipients:
- companies that are in the MiMi group around the world;
- authors of any items or services made available to you, so they can facilitate support and license validation, who maybe located in any of the countries our products are available in;
- subcontractors and service providers who assist us in connection with the ways we use personal information (as set out above), in particular: website hosting providers.
- our professional advisers (lawyers, accountants, financial advisers etc.)
- regulators and government authorities in connection with our compliance procedures and obligations;
- a purchaser or prospective purchaser of all or part of our assets or our business, and their professional advisers, in connection with the purchase;
- a third party to respond to requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity;
- a third party, in order to enforce or defend our rights, or to address financial or reputational risks;
- a rights holder in relation to an allegation of intellectual property infringement or any other infringement; and
- other recipients where we are authorised or required by law to do so.
Where we transfer and/or store your personal information
- Your data will be processed in the US. Some of the recipients we have described in section 10 above, and to whom we disclose your personal information, are based outside the US. We do this on the basis of your consent to this policy.In order to protect your information, we take care where possible to work with subcontractors and service providers who we believe maintain an acceptable standard of data security compliance.
How we keep your personal information secure
- We store personal information on secure servers that are managed by us and our service providers, and occasionally hard copy files that are kept in a secure location in the US and the rest of the world. Personal information that we store or transmit is protected by security and access controls, including username and password authentication, two-factor authentication, and data encryption where appropriate.
How you can access your personal information
- You can access some of the personal information that we collect about you by logging in to your account. You also have the right to make a request to access other personal information we hold about you and to request corrections of any errors in that data. You can also close the account you have with us for any of our apps/sites at any time. To make an access or correction request, contact us using the contact boxes on our apps/sites or details at the end of this policy.
Marketing Choices regarding your personal information
- Where we have your consent to do so (e.g. if you have subscribed to one of our e-mail lists or have indicated that you are interested in receiving offers or information from us), we send you marketing communications by email about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you. You can ‘opt-out’ of such communications if you would prefer not to receive them in the future by using the “unsubscribe” facility provided in the communication itself.
- You also have choices about cookies, as described below. By modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. If you choose to reject cookies some parts of our apps/sites may not work properly in your case.
Cookies and web analytics
- When you visit our apps/sites, there’s certain information that’s recorded which is generally anonymous information and does not reveal your identity. If you’re logged into your account some of this information could be associated with your account. We’re talking about the following kinds of details:
- your IP address or proxy server IP address’;
- the domain name you requested;
- the name of your internet service provider is sometimes captured depending on the configuration of your ISP connection;
- the date and time of your visit to the website;
- the length of your session;
- the pages which you have accessed;
- the number of times you access our site within any month;
- the file URL you look at and information relating to it;
- the website which referred you to our apps/sites; and
- the operating system which your computer uses.
- Occasionally, we will use third party advertising companies to serve ads based on prior visits to our apps/sites. For example, if you visit our apps/sites, you may later see an add for our products and services when you visit a different Site.
Information about children
- Our apps/sites are not suitable for children under the age of 13 years, so if you are under 13 we ask that you do not use our apps/sites or give us your personal information (if you are a young tech wiz, please direct your nearest responsible adult to use the apps/sites for you!). If you are from 13 to 18 years, you can browse the apps/sites but you’ll need the supervision of a parent or guardian to become a registered user. It’s the responsibility of parents or guardians to monitor their children’s use of our apps/sites.
Information you make public or give to others
How long we keep your personal information
When we need to update this policy
- We will need to change this policy from time to time in order to make sure it stays up to date with the latest legal requirements and any changes to our privacy management practices.
- When we do change the policy, we’ll make sure to notify you about such changes, where required. A copy of the latest version of this policy will always be available on this page.
How you can contact us
- If you have any questions about our privacy practices or the way in which we have been managing your personal information, please contact email@example.com
If you’re a user or visitor in the European Economic Area these rights also apply to you:
- For the purposes of applicable EU data protection law (including the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), we are a ‘data controller’ of your personal information.
How you can access your personal information
- You are also entitled to ask us to port your personal information (i.e. to transfer in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, to you), to erase it, or restrict its processing. You also have rights to object to some processing that is based on our legitimate interests, such as profiling that we perform for the purposes of direct marketing, and, where we have asked for your consent to process your data, to withdraw this consent as more fully described below.
- These rights are limited in some situations – for example, we can demonstrate that we have a legal requirement to process your personal information. In some instances, this means that we may retain some data even if you withdraw your consent.
- Where we require your personal information to comply with legal or contractual obligations, then provision of such data is mandatory: if such data is not provided, then we will not be able to manage our contractual relationship with you, or to meet obligations placed on us. In all other cases, provision of requested personal information is optional.
- If you have unresolved concerns you also have the right to complain to data protection authorities. The relevant data protection authority will be the data protection authority of the country: (i) of your habitual residence; (ii) of your place of work; or (iii) in which you consider the alleged infringement has occurred.
Cookies, web beacons and similar technologies
What are cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies?
Typically, there are two types of tracking technologies we might use on our sites:
- Cookies: these aren’t the type you eat they’re actually a small data file sent from a server to your web browser or mobile device that is stored on your browser cache or mobile device. There are ways you can control your cookies preferences and set whether you want to accept or reject cookies (see what your options are below).
- Clear gifs, web beacons, web bugs: These are tiny graphics with a unique identifier similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the movements of web users between pages and websites. Unlike cookies, which are cached on a user’s computer, clear gifs, web beacons and web bugs are embedded invisibly on web pages and are about the size of a single pixel.
What do we do with these technologies?
We use these tracking technologies for a few general purposes like:
- To allow our sites to function correctly.
- To understand how our sites are functioning and to inform any improvements in performance and our services.
- To enhance your experience on our sites and provide functionality that means for example you don’t have to re-enter your details each time you engage with our sites or to record what purchases you’ve made on our sites.
- To gather relevant data that helps us deliver marketing and advertising content relevant to your interests.
Your options when it comes cookies, web beacons and similar technologies
You can change your web browser’s settings to reflect your cookie preferences. Use these links to find out more information about cookie settings for these common browsers:
- Internet Explorer
Also, you can opt out of third party advertising cookies at any time by visiting this page
Just keep in mind that if you disable cookies, web beacons and similar technologies there might be some functionality that will not work or not operate correctly on our sites.
Our Services may allow
you to access, use, or interact with third-party websites, apps, content, and
other products and services. For example, you may choose to use third-party
data backup services (such as iCloud or Google Drive)
that are integrated with our Services or interact with a share button on a
third party’s website that enables you to send information to your MiMi contacts. Please note that when you use third-party
services, their own terms and privacy policies will govern your use of those
Your Rights. MiMi does not claim ownership of the information that you
submit for your MiMi account or through our Services.
You must have the necessary rights to such information that you submit for your
MiMi account or through our Services and the right to
grant the rights and licenses in our Terms.
MiMi’s Rights. We own all copyrights, trademarks,
domains, logos, trade dress, trade secrets, patents, and other intellectual
property rights associated with our Services. You may not use our copyrights,
trademarks, domains, logos, trade dress, patents, and other intellectual
property rights unless you have our express permission and except in accordance
with our Brand Guidelines. You may use the trademarks & of our
affiliated companies only with their permission, including as authorized in any
published brand guidelines.
Your License to MiMi. In order to operate and provide our
Services, you grant MiMi a worldwide, non-exclusive,
royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license
to use, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works of, display, and perform
the information (including the content) that you upload, submit, store, send,
or receive on or through our Services. The rights you grant in this license are
for the limited purpose of operating and providing our Services (such as to
allow us to display your profile picture and status message, transmit your
messages, store your undelivered messages on our servers for up to 30 days as
MiMi’s License to You. We grant you a limited, revocable,
non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and
non-transferable license to use our Services, subject to and in accordance with
our Terms. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling you to use our
Services, in the manner permitted by our Terms. No licenses or rights are
granted to you by implication or otherwise, except for the licenses and rights
expressly granted to you.
Reporting third-party copyright, trademark,
and other intellectual property infringement
To report claims of third-party copyright, trademark, or other
intellectual property infringement. We may terminate your MiMi
account if you repeatedly infringe the intellectual property rights of others.
YOU USE OUR SERVICES
AT YOUR OWN RISK AND SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING DISCLAIMERS. WE ARE PROVIDING OUR
SERVICES ON AN “AS IS” BASIS WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FREEDOM FROM COMPUTER VIRUS OR
OTHER HARMFUL CODE. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED BY US IS
ACCURATE, COMPLETE, OR USEFUL, THAT OUR SERVICES WILL BE OPERATIONAL, ERROR
FREE, SECURE, OR SAFE, OR THAT OUR SERVICES WILL FUNCTION WITHOUT DISRUPTIONS,
DELAYS, OR IMPERFECTIONS. WE DO NOT CONTROL, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR,
CONTROLLING HOW OR WHEN OUR USERS USE OUR SERVICES OR THE FEATURES, SERVICES,
AND INTERFACES OUR SERVICES PROVIDE. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR AND ARE NOT
OBLIGATED TO CONTROL THE ACTIONS OR INFORMATION (INCLUDING CONTENT) OF OUR
USERS OR OTHER THIRD PARTIES. YOU RELEASE US, OUR SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, AND
OUR AND THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, PARTNERS, AND AGENTS (TOGETHER,
THE “MIMI PARTIES”) FROM ANY CLAIM, COMPLAINT, CAUSE OF ACTION, CONTROVERSY, OR
DISPUTE (TOGETHER, “CLAIM”) AND DAMAGES, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, RELATING TO,
ARISING OUT OF, OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY SUCH CLAIM YOU HAVE AGAINST
ANY THIRD PARTIES. YOU WAIVE ANY RIGHTS YOU MAY HAVE UNDER UGANDA LAW, OR ANY
OTHER SIMILAR APPLICABLE STATUTE OR LAW OF ANY OTHER JURISDICTION, WHICH SAYS
THAT: A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT
KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE
RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER
SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.
Limitation of liability
THE MIMI PARTIES WILL
NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE,
INDIRECT, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES RELATING TO, ARISING OUT OF, OR IN ANY WAY IN
CONNECTION WITH OUR TERMS, US, OR OUR SERVICES, EVEN IF THE MIMI PARTIES HAVE
BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. OUR AGGREGATE LIABILITY
RELATING TO, ARISING OUT OF, OR IN ANY WAY IN CONNECTION WITH OUR TERMS, US, OR
OUR SERVICES WILL NOT EXCEED THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100) OR THE
AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID US IN THE PAST TWELVE MONTHS. THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMER OF
CERTAIN DAMAGES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY WILL APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT
PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. THE LAWS OF SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT
ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE
EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS SET FORTH ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY IN OUR TERMS, IN SUCH CASES, THE
LIABILITY OF THE MIMI PARTIES WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED
BY APPLICABLE LAW.
You agree to defend,
indemnify, and hold harmless the MiMi Parties from
and against all liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses of any kind
(including reasonable legal fees and costs) relating to, arising out of, or in
any way in connection with any of the following: (a) your access to or use of
our Services, including information provided in connection therewith; (b) your
breach or alleged breach of our Terms; or (c) any misrepresentation made by
you. You will cooperate as fully as required by us in the defense or settlement
of any Claim.
Forum and Venue. If you are a MiMi
user located in the Uganda or not in Uganda, the “Special Arbitration Provision
for Uganda applies to you. you agree that you will resolve any Claim you have
with us relating to, arising out of, or in any way in connection with our
Terms, us, or our Services (each, a “Dispute,” and together, “Disputes”)
exclusively in the Uganda and you agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction
of such courts for the purpose of litigating all such Disputes.
Governing Law. The laws of Uganda govern our Terms, as
well as any Disputes, whether in court or arbitration, which might arise between
MiMi and you, without regard to conflict of law